Herkner’s Treasured Clock, the E Howard Regulator
People from all over the West Michigan area remember stopping into our downtown Grand Rapids store to admire and set their watches to this treasured clock.
Walnut Astronomical Regulator by E. Howard, Boston, c. 1865, the special order Gothic case having a pitched pediment, freestanding turned columns with carved acanthus leaf capitals flanking the bayonette mounted bezel and 16 1/2-in. reverse-painted glass dial marked E. Howard & Co. Makers. Boston. with perimeter minute track, hours indicated above the center and seconds below with aperture for viewing the escapement, original blued steel hands, trefoil case buttresses provide visual support for the dial, the waist glazed door framed by a molded lancet arch over the mirrored back, silvered beat scale and walnut holder all flanked by freestanding turned and carved columns, the base with center applied quatrafoil panel framed by diamond-shaped spandrels and flanked by pitched buttresses on a molded and flat plinth, the damascened eight-day brass movement enclosed within three dust covers, Graham’s deadbeat escapement, maintaining power, Geneva stop, straight line four-wheel train, the great wheel with 300 teeth and rear-mounted winding drum, jewelled escape wheel, pallet pivots and pallets all mounted in an engraved cock, front hung steel and brass pendulum cradle supports the four-jar mercury pendulum marked 2830 and 9, indexed regulation nut and blued steel pointer, all powered by a 3 1/2 lg., 1 1/4 in. dia. brass- cased weight with threaded acorn hanger, ht. 103, wd. 33, dp. 14 in.
Provenance: The pendulum marked “9” documents the earliest known serial number on a Howard astronomical regulator. In 1867, this clock was part of the original furnishings of Herkner Jewelers, Grand Rapids, the oldest continiously operating jewelry store in Michigan. The clock is barely visible in an image dating circa 1909 of the interior of the store, in the same position it remained for one hundred forty-one years until removed in August 2008.
If you have memories of this clock from our old store please share them with us!